Rules for Junior License and Permits
Learner permit restrictions
On Long Island
- You may not drive with a permit, unless accompanied by a person who is 21 years of age or older.
- Person must be a licensed parent, guardian or driving instructor.
- You may not drive in a DMV road test area.
- You may only drive between the hours of 5am to 9pm.
- All passengers must be in a seat belt.
Rules For Junior License
- A junior license enables you drive with a person at least 21 years of age.
- The person must be a licensed parent, guardian, or driving instructor.
- When not accompanied by any of the aforementioned people, you may drive to and from work, to and from work study programs (BOCES), and to and from college courses.
- When driving, you must have your junior license as well as the following documentation; Certificate Of Employment (MV-58A) or documentation of the school you are attending.